Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Chicken Protection

The chicken wire edition of the propeller cage was built this week:

Initially the 4 blue post holders were all glued to the the fiberglass surface of AMOS, but the front two posts lifted off when I was trying to put the cage on, so I bolted them down to the corner grommets of the solar panel instead. I'm guessing that the back posts may also lift off... if so I think I'll invest in a tube of a different type of epoxy. If anyone knows of a really good brand of epoxy that is waterproof, strong, and durable, please leave a comment below! The chicken wire seems like it will offer enough stiffness to protect against rocks and tree branches; I'll have to try it out later on this week at Woolastook to make sure.

I also bought a new LiDAR device a few days ago, and am waiting for it to arrive any day now. This particular device is IP67, so I'm hoping that it really will be waterproof. The last one (which was IP65) was unfortunately not quite waterproof, and got ruined after being left for too many days out in the rain. The new LiDAR can be configured for I2C data, so I'll try to add it to the existing I2C bus on AMOS, along with the A to D converter and the Inertial Measurement Unit. Luckily there was some Arduino driver software for it on GitHub, so I was able to port that over to suit my needs on the Raspberry Pi.




No comments:

Post a Comment