Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Cage and Bluetooth Upgrades

The sealed lead acid (SLA) replacement battery was tested out in AMOS last week and it did provide a much more stable voltage for the charge controller, but even though I set the limit on the charge controller to 13.5 V, it still created an output of 14 V in bright sunlight. This was a bit too much for the propeller's speed controller which would beep in annoyance and refuse to turn. Perhaps if it did turn though, the extra load would pull the voltage down to a more agreeable level?

The damaged 3D printed fan cage was replaced with an old metal fan cage that I had on hand. The shape of it was ok, but it was a bit too large and heavy. The servo could still turn it, but it seemed to not be as stable as it was before. Probably I'll go back to a plastic cage, just more robust than before.

Some more progress was made on the iOS app, until I ran into a bit of a stumbling block. I had bought what was advertised as a HM-10 BLE module from a vendor on Amazon back in March, but it was actually a knock off imitation device. Up until now it seemed to still work well enough, despite not having all the features of a true HM-10. It seemed to do everything perfectly with the Android app, but for some reason it does not send any data to the iOS app. Data flows fine in the other direction for sending movement commands, etc., but I wasted hours trying to find some way to send BLE data to the app with no success. So I guess I'll just have to find a genuine HM-10 somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment