Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Starting to Get Real

A few small things happened this week that helped to reinforce my belief that AMOS can be a viable product.

On Friday, some market research reports that I had requested through Venn Innovation and MaRS Knowledge & Insights came in. In total there were 9 different reports mostly dealing with water monitoring technology. I've only read 2 of the reports so far, but it is clear that the World's water supply is increasingly being threatened by pollution, global warming, changes in weather, and other factors, and that there is a growing demand for reliable, effective monitoring technology for making sure that our water is safe. It seems clear to me that automated robotic water sampling will be needed in the future; hopefully AMOS can be part of that.

On the software side of things, with the help of the ArcGIS API, I came up with a pretty simple interface for planning a route for AMOS:

You basically just left-click the waypoints in the sequence that you want AMOS to follow, or right-click on a point to remove it. Then click the 'Save' button to save the route to a text file for upload to AMOS. It sure beats entering GPS coordinates by hand. I've made mistakes that have resulted in some serious head scratching when AMOS started to head off to the latitude and longitude of my typo.

In Nature Robotics now has an official presence on Twitter: @nature_robotics (https://twitter.com/nature_robotics). It was encouraging to see how many people there are on Twitter that are actively engaged in water monitoring and research about water. Many thousands to be sure. In Nature Robotics now follows a little over 200 of them, and will be following more gradually.

Over the course of the last 21 months that I've spent working on AMOS-related things, some spare parts have managed to accumulate around our basement. My part-time employer (Measurand Inc.) is having a Secret Santa gift exchange this year, with the rule being that the gift must be hand-made or less than $15 in price. Since I drew the Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator, I thought I could make some use of a spare humidity sensor and Arduino to help him make sure things aren't too hot, cold, humid, or dry in the workplace:





No comments:

Post a Comment