Tuesday, December 25, 2018

AMOS Got Fiberglassed For Christmas

Merry Christmas! The fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin arrived this past week just in time for Christmas, so I figured that AMOS's new foam board should get a nice coat of fiberglass for Christmas, to protect it from getting any more dings or gouges.

First, I used a bit of polyfilla mixed with a few drops of water to fill in some of the pits and cracks that were mostly on the bottom of the board, then after waiting half a day or so for it to dry, sanded it down:


On Saturday I fiberglassed the bottom half of the board, using some painter's tape to hold the edges of the cloth to the perimeter of the top surface:


My technique was loosely base on a series of YouTube videos on fiberglassing foam surfboards. I wasn't really as careful as I should have been in making sure that the epoxy resin did not exceed the tape boundary. This didn't really hurt anything, but resulted in some of the tape getting permanently stuck to the board. I also wasn't particularly good at keeping ridges and bubbles from forming on the glassed surface. In hindsight, I probably should have been more careful to stretch and wrap the cloth prior to gluing.

Yesterday, I fiberglassed the top half. This part was slightly better, but I still had a number of ridges, especially around the edges of the board:



The important thing though, is that AMOS now has a nice protective coating, and I'm fairly confident that it should be able to withstand collisions with rocks, and be able to be strapped down to the roof of a vehicle without damage. This protection carries a bit of a price in terms of weight though, the weight of the board is now 10.2 lbs instead of the 6.5 lbs that it was initially before adding the coating.


No comments:

Post a Comment