Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Taking Shape

I allowed the glue to dry for three days under the pressure of my weights. The construction adhesive package recommended curing for 24 hours, but I thought it would be safer to give it some extra time. After that, I made some cuts at the front and back with a hand saw in hopes of improving the hydrodynamic shape:




I think the result was reasonable, given my lack of experience and skill in cutting this stuff. The hand saw did leave some rough looking divots in the foam though, which will require filling with a bit of pollyfilla or similar.




I have also ordered some fibreglass cloth and suitable epoxy which supposedly will not eat away at the foam for covering and protecting the boat surface. Right now the boat is nice and light (about 6 lbs) and the fibreglass will add some weight, but if it works it should be worth it I think in terms of the added protection and better look.

No comments:

Post a Comment